See how Scotts-Miracle-Gro is dedicated to developing community gardens and public green spaces through the GRO1000 community outreach initiative.
At Scotts-Miracle-Gro, it's our vision to help people of all ages express themselves on their own piece of the Earth. We're realizing this mission, in part, through our outreach in community gardening and green spaces. It's our desire to help bring the life-changing benefits of neighborhood greenscapes to deserving communities around the world.
Our commitment to garden and green space development includes GRO1000, a community outreach initiative launched in 2011. GRO1000 will result in the creation of more than 1,000 community gardens and green spaces by 2018, the company's 150th anniversary. Through this effort, we're honored to bring the benefits that gardens and green spaces provide to more and more neighborhoods, schools and communities, particularly to those areas in need.
ScottsMiracle-Gro awards two types of GRO1000 grants each year:
- Showcase Grants - - Through partnership with the U.S. Conference of Mayors, grants are awarded to mayors for the installation of innovative public gardens and green spaces within their cities.
- Grassroots Grants - - To foster community spirit and public service, grants of up to $1,500 are awarded to more than 100 local communities to help bring gardens and green spaces to their neighborhoods.
In 2014, the GRO1000 program will help to transform projects in the following Showcase Grant cities:
- Miramar, Florida - - Intergenerational Fruit and Vegetable Garden
- Houston, Texas - - Gabriela Mistral Center for Early Childhood Garden and Natural Playground
- Tallahassee, Florida - - iGrow Whatever You Like Youth Farm
- Mesa, Arizona - - McKellips and Ellsworth Park Botanical Walkway
- Minneapolis, Minnesota - - Karamu Garden
Key to the GRO1000 initiative are partnerships with the U.S. Conference of Mayors, the Garden Writers Association, Plant A Row/Grow A Row for the Hungry, the National Gardening Association, Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, and Communities in Bloom, which are helping to bring community gardens and green spaces to cities across the United States, Canada and Europe.
GRO1000 is an integral part of ScottsMiracle-Gro's "Give Back To Gro" philanthropic commitment. For more information about Give Back To Gro and GRO1000, visit www.GroGood.com.