Protecting Our Environment at ScottsMiracle-Gro
Connecting with nature is our business, caring for it is in our values.
Any time you use a ScottsMiracle-Gro product, you’re connecting with the environment. We take that seriously, and understand the responsibility to protect it begins with us. Nature is our business, and we’re always working to make sure our products leave as little impact on it as possible.
Taking Care of the Earth
As gardeners, we care about protecting the very earth we dig in, and what we add to it. Here’s how we’re innovating to help improve the environment.
- Every bag of Miracle-Gro soil is sourced, produced, and used within a 120-mile radius (on average).
- We use around 3.4 million pounds of recycled bark in our soils each year.
- Our plant food jugs are made from 25 percent recycled plastic, and can be washed and repurposed when empty.
- All Miracle-Gro Performance Organics bags are made from bio-based plastic and certified by Braskem as I'm greenTM.
Fostering Environmental Innovation
As a company, ScottsMiracle-Gro is committed to fostering innovation and improving our global environment across all of our brands. From production to packaging to the disposal of our products, we continue to refine our methods and are committed to reaching 145 million Americans through environmental partnerships by 2025.
- We are the nation's largest recycler of green waste. Each year, we redirect 5 billion pounds out of landfills and into high-value compost.
- With our environmental partners, we’ve helped tackle nutrient pollution by protecting or restoring more than 4 million square feet of U.S. wetland and shoreline habitat. /span>
- The majority of our fiber-based packaging is responsibly sourced by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative or Forest Stewardship Council.
- In 2020, we diverted more than 23,000 tons of waste from landfills. We continue to find opportunities to reduce it further, using our centralized waste management system. We’re also piloting a project using new recycling methods to tackle plastic bag waste.
- The amount of plastic material used in our packaging will be reduced by 3 percent and we’ll triple the amount of recycled content in our packaging by 2025.
- We’re converting 20 percent of our sales fleet to hybrid vehicles by 2025.